Friday, June 01, 2007

I lost my Bagette!


bagette
Originally uploaded by darenpackham
On day 3 of the ride there was a wonderful moment! I was starting to develop a routine. A stop at around 1030 ish in the morning for a coffee and a french tart (or pastry) and to pick up water and supplies for a yummie lunch later on.

After buying all this stuff I then had to stash it all on and in the back ! The delicios but unwieldly nature of a french bagette means that there is no way that it will fit into your regular cycle bags. A clever system of securing it accross the back of my two bags meant that although open to the world it could still be transported in one piece plus, it made me feel a bit french too.

So I set off. Happily checking my friendly GPS compass for a northerly heading and once happy that I was on course for the mother land, all I had to do was somehow zone out, from the arse pain and enjoy the scenery.

After some distance along the road, an excited French man in a puegeot car, slowed down next to me and was enthusiastically waving a bagette at me out of his car window. Looking around somewhat bemused, I noticed that my bagette had indeed gone! and this item being waved at me in a slightly intimidating way was actually my lunch...
While moving along at some speed, my estranged french stick was returned to me in an olympic style batton exchange with the french guy leaning out of his car window. At the completion of the exchange there was a little cheer and some laughing. Now however, I had a new problem! negotiating the slowing down and then unclipping from my peddals all with the unwieldly loaf in one hand.

Then lengths a man will go to save his lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home