Monday, November 26, 2007

Still having trouble with Flags!

We arrived alongside in the port of Nassau. In our pre arrival checks, stabilisers get centred, depth sounders and bow thrusters checked, sea water inlets get switched to shallow, port clearances complete, advance notifications and customs formalities completed LOCAL COURTESY FLAG RAISED.

The pilot was on board and caused more trouble than he helped by a small misunderstanding with the other Pilot who happened to be on the 'Disney Wonder' a huge cruise ship that was coming out of the channel at the same time that our pilot had just cleared us to enter it!

So there I was, sat on the dock discussing everything with our friendly ships agent. We were sat on a wall near to the boat. He clearly felt a bit awkward so I thought I would take the Bull by the horns and ask if everything was in order. He looked like he was about to tell me I had bad breath or body odour or something. He said, "Daren, I hate to bring this up but you are flying the Bahamas maritime ensign not the Bahamas civil Flag." I looked up at our flag, laughed and said we would change it immediately.

This Flag thing really does upset people! I am starting to pay more attention to it. I am becoming a flag bore, BUT its obviously more important than I had previously thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home