Friday, December 30, 2005

Inspiration

Well guys another voyage complete and once again the reasons for enjoying this job come straight back. Often I wonder what I am doing on this particular ship, working as the bosun not the captain for a bit less money that I should be earning.


Some days there are such wonderful moments that would make the hardest souls nearly cry with joy.
Navigating the rigging is as I have described before is a tricky business. last week, I scaled the mast with a man who is totally blind, a woman of 72 and a guy who has no real use of his legs.
The mast climbing is just a small part of it.

Getting everyone together and setting the sails for the first time is fantastic. 40 people pulling and heaving and letting ropes go, to unfold a cloud of sail and feeling our ship take off under the power of the wind is amazing even for me. Once the hard work is done people just sit and gaze skywards for hours.

There is always a job for everyone regardless of physical ability and we have to go at the pace of the slowest. Is that the Bosun I wonder.. Inspired of Brighton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home