Thursday, April 06, 2006

How to eat an elephant

Take a small bite and keep on eating. That is how I feel when faced with the job that I have just started.

Actually on more than one level. On my first day here I arrived just after dinner. No matter though because the other officers had waited for me and there was a table laid very elaborately witth wine and sparkling water, table matts, cloth napkins and the works and we ate a full steak dinner with tons of veg. Lunch today was a feast and as it goes on.

Lucky then that there is a good health and fitness culture on board with 50% of the crew dissapearing off to the beach tonight to go for a run.

Another amusing thing that I am not at all used to when arriving on a new ship, is that my crisp, white, cotten sheets had been put on my bed and on the bed was some toiltries, shaving foam, soap, shampoo, toothbrush. With my en-suite toilet and shower all in marble, It is like coming to a hotel. Plus deffinitely not used to having a flat screen TV that has a central entertainment system full of menues with hundreds of movies, satalite tv, music and probably makes tea if I could figure out the controls.

So last night I chose a movie got into bed and relaxed. Looking around me I had to use all the imagination I have, to remember that I am at work and on a ship not in a hotel.

The first complete day at work has been taken up with a walk around the boat. Its Huge..Bit like an elephant. A shiney white elephant. Oh No. Its a white elephant! Oh well it will soon be all be eaten. Munch munch munch.


1 Comments:

Blogger Iz said...

I guess the white elephant will match the white shorts and socks...

11:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home