Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanks Giving

Being British, we don’t really get it. I have to admit to liking the idea of a family/friend day, similar to Christmas in that you all get together and eat a great big turkey dinner, all without the bother or worry of gifts. However, like Christmas there is a certain amount of pressure to it. Who should I spend this day with? My current family, the crew? (Nope! Far to rowdy for my current feeling)

Sifting through my thanks giving invitations, I discarded the idea of a lively afternoon at the crew house and chose instead an intimate family dinner with my friend Tara and her close family here in Savannah.

There was however, another more interesting invitation that included the following…. Mum, dad and a daughter. The daughter was the source of my invitation. Then was the daughters husband of convenience, the husband of conveniences, Spanish girlfriend (these relationships were not known to the said daughters mum and dad, bye the way!) and a ballet dancer who was invited as good friend of the daughter! The ballet dancer was dangled, as a carrot to entice me into coming along but I would still in some way have been the daughters date. Oh and there was also a small dog. This entertaining afternoon, would have included 4 hours of driving! I declined (I really didn't feel like the journey) in favour of the intimate family gathering here in Savannah. After all, I have been trying to keep my life simple lately and this didn’t seem to come neatly under that particular heading!

So. Tara made a mountain of great food, her mother brought pies and sweet puddings, her son Justin mixed drinks surprisingly well, while her dad and brother drank the lions share of the Southern Comfort. After all of this we all promptly fell asleep in front of a log fire, waking up later to feel the need for yet more pie!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home