Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday. Tropical storm ‘Daren’

The beach club, is the area at the stern of the ship where the pool is. It is very nice there with a bar, deck furniture and without the boats looks massive. It has become a bit of a dumping ground during this yard period and there is stuff from lockers just about everywhere. Our first job today was to remove the heavy teak panelling so that the engineers could get to some problem or other.

Mary asked me if I would turn off the rope lighting around the bar as it was not really necessary. I agreed, reached for the nearest switch, lifted a plastic cover and pushed the switch.

My goodness me!!!!

At this point I have to explain a system called Hi-fog. This is a fixed installation fire fighting device which includes nozzles in the ceiling all around the boat. When activated by heat (or by silly light switch style buttons) water under incredible pressure is sent through the nozzles and is atomised making a very very wet, very thick fog. This would, after experience, I have no doubt in my mind put out any fire whatsoever.

The story continues. I was now standing in what felt like a tropical storm surrounded with zero visibility. It reminded me a bit of the top of Snowdon only I was stood soaking in my uniform. I suddenly had lots of company, captain, 1st officer, chief engineer, and 2 deck hands, who were also soaked, all come to investigate the cause of fire in the beach club. The stop button, was located by mike engineer and I was considering how nice it would be to be sailing up the channel on Bessie Ellen and if Nikki still needs a captain.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home