Friday, July 21, 2006

Boss Hogg got foiled by International drivers licence

Last week I had the rare experience of having a regular weekend off. That is, from Friday evening to Monday morning. This prospect filled me some excitement and as always for me, I needed to go and explore, rather than wasting this precious time away, by prancing about in a semi drunken manor, in the bars of Savannah.

So, I rented a car. Once again from the smiling miss dental hygiene and her colleague, who is amazingly, the 2nd cousin to Linda Carter AKA, Wonder Woman! What a funny thing to find out about someone while renting a car.
To look at, for sure, it was Ms Peebles (dental hygiene) who had a closer resemblance to the wonderful Ms Carter than her related colleague. One thing is for sure, Wonder Woman, would have got my joke about not wanting to rent a Peeble carrier. Sometimes it is just not worth trying to explain those kinds of jokes.

Finally I was off! With nearly 5 litres of planet choking fury beneath my right foot and a speed limit of 55mph! I was enjoying total disregard to the speed laws of the USA, while singing along to songs on the radio. A dead straight road ahead, empty of traffic in front, behind and nothing on coming . That was, until a cop car came into view. I slowed down but it was too late. The flashing blue lights were a clear indication that I was in some trouble. I pulled over and wound down my window. Waiting slightly nervously to see my enemy.

Officer “ how fast do ya think you were goin there sir”
Me “ about 55 mph” lying beautifully..
Officer “ I clocked you at 83! an this here is a 45mph zone sir”
Me “ wow!” I said, “ that is a bit fast!”
Officer “ A BIT FAST?!!!
Me “ I am not used to these big American engines, If I ever wind the old ‘metro’ up to eighty, the old girl shakes around like a Kangaroo on a pogo stick!
Officer “ Can I please have your driving licence and ve-hickle documents”
Me “ Sure” thinking, this will screw him up! as I reached for my rental document and UK drivers licence.
There was a long wait while he went back to his patrol car and I was wondering what kind of fine this would lead to.
When he returned he passed the documents through the window and said, “ There is no Fine and no court date, please slow down”
Hooray for international confusion!
I continued on my way at 55mph.

1 Comments:

Blogger Iz said...

This is what I was talking about...

Jussi Salonoja (Finland) was fined £116,000 for driving at 50mph in a 25mph zone in Helinski, in February 2004. In accordance with Finnish law, speeders are fined in proportion to their annual incomes - and Mr Salonoja, heir to a family-owned sausage empire, earned close to £7 million in 2002.

2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home