Monday, December 04, 2006

Carrots and Beer


beer and a run
Originally uploaded by darenpackham.
Since I arrived here in Savannah I have run endless laps of Forsyth park, enjoying the trees, tranquility and other scenery ( I can hear you! When will he shut up about the park?) As well as running around the park I have also been entering the odd 10km race.

You might think that I do this for personal fitness and pleasure. It is kind of true but I have to be able to keep up with my good friend Clifford when I get back to England. He will say, "Run much then?" I'll go, " Na!" Then he will take me up over the Sussex Downs near to his house, over hill and through dale, for more than two hours, expecting me to keep up with him, while calmly chatting all the way.

Anyhow, as per usual my friend Debbs was up for a challenge and something fun to do on a Saturday morning. The Savannah River Bridge run was our activity of choice for this weekend. In preparation we stayed in the bar on Friday evening, saying farewell to some of my crew mates untill 2 in the morning. I found some inner strength to get up to be at work on the boat at 6am, did my few work duties, drank an inordinate amount of water and a coffee and then made my way to the start.

The sun was shining and the sky was blue, the 3000 strong field of runners was all milling about waiting for the starting hooter. The usual tension and anticipation of the event ahead could be felt in the atmosphere. We were soon off!

The suspension bridge is the only hill in Savannah and before too long I knew that the climb would be infront of me. What I needed now (apart from more sleep, and less alchol in my blood stream) was a carrot! No. Not an orange, ground vegetable but a firm, female, bottom in a tight pair of running shorts, who was running at a reasonable pace. This is a distraction technique used effectively through a number of marathons and runs with my friends Dai and Cliff. I'm not sure that it really works but we always give it a go and normally enjoy it.

So, after what felt like a long 49 minutes I crossed the finish line. I was warmly welcomed by Debbs and Mel who had finished their 5KM ahead of me and also by Tara who was an enthusiastic supporter. She was quietly enjoying all the sporty men, declaring that she would come to these kinds of things more often!

Normally these kinds of events give you a banana and a fruit flavoured power drink at the finish line. Not in Savannah! The race was sponsered by Michlob, a beer company! The picture is of me and Debbs getting our post race beer. After that, we all went and ate a big greasy breakfast out in the sunshine. Ha ha. You will see too, that the trees are still green here!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Is that a five-o-clock shadow on your roof there Daren mate?

6:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home