Friday, July 21, 2006

Okefenokee, like Barcombe Mills, with Aligators!


wilderness
Originally uploaded by darenpackham.
There is a place near to where I am from in Sussex, called Barcombe Mills. It is a pretty place by a river, where you can rent an open canoe and paddle peacefully up the river on summer days.

While away at my Hostel in the forest, I took the chance to visit the Okefenokee swamp. The mere name of it, makes you curious as to what it is like. I rented an open canoe and set out peacefully to enjoy the natuaral beauty and some time alone with my thoughts. I had been told by the park warden that I might see some aligators. This didn't actually bother me until. OH MY GOODNESS! and other more colourful phrases. I did see an aligator! Then I wasn't enjoying being on my own at all and my hieghtened level of concentration meant that I noticed many many aligators.
Of course I am strong and brave like bull (or mouse) and was soon wrestling them bare handed (paddling back as fast as I could and staying away from the tree lined edges.) This picture was taken minutes before I realised that stopping near to the edge could be dangerous. There was probably a gator poised to munch my left hand.

I returned with only a slight sun burn. I think I was lucky. I was wondering if the Aligators wait for people on their return journey. I guess I was done medium rare by the time I got back.

There are no Aligators at Barcome Mills and the pub there is better too.

2 Comments:

Blogger nickbroom said...

There are some vicious ducks at Barcombe tho, and the barlady used to be a bit of an Ogre... (does that make here an Og I wonder...?)

5:05 AM

 
Blogger Jack said...

er, did you say brave like ... sorry what IS that smell?

And while I'm here, isn't Vaccuous Dick a quaint English expression!

6:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home