Monday, July 31, 2006

the beach


Bocci team
Originally uploaded by darenpackham.
Well I am coming home to England! This is a well earned holiday for me and one I have been looking forward to for a while. Last weekend we once again changed the boat watch rosta (shift pattern) Good news is, that I write the rosta! This meant incredibly, that I got to have the whole weekend off. Ha ha clever trick!

No hippie camping trips this weekend! We made a few calls to new friends and managed to get a ride to the beach. The cooler was packed with goodies and the sun screen in hand, we were soon in our usual spot with the usual suspects to enjoy some beach sports, the bocci ball was an international show of great incompetence but was good fun. To me this should be called ‘Pentanque’ or ‘Boule’ but hey, I am sure the Italian version is exactly the same as the French and as we are in Georgia USA we can pretty much call it what we like.

To let you know how far from planet earth we live at the moment I have to tell you a story. I was on the beach with an Australian and a Kiwi guy, throwing a rugby ball about. A bloke who was very nice about our ball landing in his spot said, “ What kind of ball is that?” ……..!?????!!! We were so surprised that we were almost offended.

“It used to be a soccer ball but our friend ran over it in his truck!”

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

They say it's a game played by men with odd-shaped balls. QED

5:56 PM

 
Blogger Jack said...

er... with apologies to Daren's Antipodean friends, who I'm sure have huge but otherwise perfectly normal ones!

5:57 PM

 
Blogger Iz said...

Boy aren't we glad your back in a handful of hours!
(all relative to the moutain of hours we've had to endure of course)

So... on behalf of the fan club...
'Welcome home BD!'

10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home