Saturday, December 30, 2006

Captain. I killed The Mouse


sailor mouse
Originally uploaded by darenpackham.
I try hard not to bother you lot with any of my boring, emotional joys or struggles and this trip home included a wide range of all of that, so instead I will tell you about a mouse.

A few years ago I was working as captain on a catamaran called, 'Mystique'. Some how, a mouse had decided to stow away with us. The boys named it ‘Roger’ and it was a cunning & elusive little creature, who had out stayed his welcome. We even had visions of him running around in a crew T shirt. I was very upset that we had this particular stow away, so I offered a 'bounty' on Rogers neck.

I remember very clearly! It was after Roger had made a rather public appearance during an evening charter! “We have to get rid of this unwanted addition to our crew!” I said, “It is all of our responsibility etc etc” ( the crew were sniggering) “Our small friend has to be dealt with! I don’t care how, float test him if you have to!

A few mornings later, I came on board to see Yuri grinning, a very proud and loyal Russian grin.
These were his exact words “Famous, long legs, English captain.. I have killed Mouse!!!”

During my extended absence from home, a small rodent had made him or her self quite welcome at chez Daren. The mouse was clearly short of manners and had not been house trained. Amazingly it had eaten every scrap of dry food, that was carelessly left there by me, back in August. The rice, pasta, sugar and even the flour had been devoured. I immediately wanted to shorten the little bastards life but the mess was contained in one small area and there were no floury foot prints, or other condemning evidence to lead me to my prey. He had vanished!

Where was Yuri when I needed him!

5 Comments:

Blogger nickbroom said...

It was great to have that romantic run together and share a few thoughts.. And great to see you TWICE on this trip!
I assure you, you are as missed here as it appears you miss here (if you get my drift?!).

Wish we could have caught up again before you left, but I can only start to imagine the amount of ladies (and others) that you had to visit upon during your few days here. (that handcream has to have come from somewhere?!)

Here's to the summer..

5:39 PM

 
Blogger nickbroom said...

just realised, re-reading that post doesnt come across tongue-in-cheek as it was meant, more camp if anything!

hey-ho. Happy New Year!

5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to dwell on the thought of you two having a 'romantic run' together, my head is messed up enough already.

I managed a less romantic coffee and a Sunday roast. It was good to see First mate Packham again, shame you can't be back more.

Enjoyed reading this blog for the first time last week, and will try to keep up with it.

7:34 AM

 
Blogger Dai said...

I also am on the hunt for Rodger, and my mother looks nothing like the Queen!

4:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can keep looking Boys, but far as I know Paul caught Roger in the bathroom and made a coat out of its skin. Just ask Daren for a picture.

It was not a mouse.... it was just a red herring!... now that makes a change!

11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home